Thursday, June 26, 2008

Acrylic Halftone Paintings

I took home an old overhead projector from work, and decided to see if I could do something artistic with it. This was the first project that popped into my head, and I'm tickled to death with the results.




I bought some canvases at Wal Mart ($5 for three 16 x 20...what a deal!) and some round sponge brushes, and 99 cent bottles of cyan and black.

I took two pictures (one of me, one of my fiance) and cropped them down in photoshop to just the eyes, set the mode to CMYK, and had it halftone the pictures with .75" as the maximum dot size. I printed the black and cyan channels on transparencies (along with some alignment marks) and set up my projector and easel.

First I laid down the black, let it dry, and then laid down the blue, watered down enough to let the black show through.

Here's two zoomed in squares, one from each painting, to get an idea of what they look like up close...these are roughly lifesize on my screen, the big dots are about three quarters of an inch:











And here's larger images of the finished product.







The beauty of these is you have to view them from far away for them to 'turn into' anything...try getting as far away from your monitor as you can. If you can't because your against a wall (or are lazy, hehe) here's some thumbnails to simulate the effect:



This was my first venture into non-digital art in probably ten years, and I absolutely love it! I will make another post that gives an expanded tutorial.  Check back soon!
(ed: Originally posted 4/28/07)

1 comment:

Chris said...

Great stuff love the use of the Two colors, I have been doing black and white halftone paintings like this for a little while now and was searching around to see if other people have done this, everyone mentions Roy Liechtenstein but he used a mixture of Pointillation and brush strokes with color, so Im sticking to the black and white, Checkout my stuff -
www. chrissalucci.com